The Muse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Two Points For Honesty
by Niemand 9th August 2022, 12:12 am

» This Dark and Twisty Road
by Niemand 10th June 2020, 10:38 pm

» Pet Peeves
by Niemand 19th February 2019, 9:35 pm

» RPG Pet Peeves
by Niemand 19th February 2019, 9:33 pm

» Picking Up the Pieces
by Niemand 23rd November 2018, 12:09 am

» Eye of the Storm
by Niemand 6th October 2018, 8:15 pm

» Calm Before the Storm
by Holly 4th October 2018, 9:37 pm

» Corrupt a Wish
by Niemand 1st October 2018, 3:47 am

» Dog Days of Winter
by Holly 25th September 2018, 5:17 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of The Muse on your social bookmarking website

We Have to Stop Meeting Like This

2 posters

Go down

We Have to Stop Meeting Like This Empty We Have to Stop Meeting Like This

Post by Niemand 12th November 2017, 1:48 pm

Winter 2011

Ares whistled a tune as he leisurely walked along the river as if he was on a sunny beach and not in the underworld. One hand rested idly on his sword hilt while the other held out in front of him, eyes locked on it. The war god had come across the interesting compass from one of his children's offerings to him. While he had appreciated the gesture since the bigger the offering such as the spoils of the quest, the more it would seem that the demigod offering it wanted favor. Big gestures such as that mean that the demi wanted something as equally big for a favor. Ares hadn't been sure if he should grant his offspring's request even though he had accepted the offering.

Pocketing the compass his lips curled up in anticipation as he felt a certain deity approaching. Oh, Ares knew that he would not be looked upon with any happiness for his 'intrusion' upon their realm. That had never stopped the god of war before nor would it likely ever. Canting his head he couldn't help but look forward to this, especially since the last time they had crossed paths she had told him to never come back. Once they were within sight of each other he did a mock bow with a flourish before straitening, eyes laughing yet holding a challenge.

"We really must stop meeting like this," was his greeting to her.

Last edited by Niemand on 27th October 2018, 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

We Have to Stop Meeting Like This Empty Re: We Have to Stop Meeting Like This

Post by Holly 12th November 2017, 6:49 pm

The niggling feeling that's boiling in Persephone's gut as she strolls along the river Styx isn't one she easily recognizes. It isn't panic, or rage, or really anything identifiable, but it's there so she continues to focus on it until she spies a familiar pair of broad shoulders moving through the brush ahead of her and everything becomes clear.

The feeling is telling her that someone is here that shouldn't be, and there's only one god who would dare to trespass in the underworld.  

"I thought I told you not to come back," she says frostily, stopping a few feet shy of him and planting her hands on her hips.  What begins as a relatively easy posture quickly turns stiff with anger as he sketches a mocking bow, that infuriating smirk on his lips.

"I really ought to tell Zeus about this," she threatens, tossing a stray curl out of her eyes as she stares wrathfully at the god of war. "Or perhaps I ought to tell Aphrodite where you've been wandering to."

With Hades away, there are very few deities who she knows to have any sort of effect on the god of war - two to be exact; his lover and his father.  It doesn't reflect well on her that she can't hold her own against him with her husband away, but it'll have to do for now.  At this point, she's willing to do anything to get the arrogant, boorish, rude god out of the underworld and back where he belongs.
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand 13th November 2017, 12:05 am

"Actually," Ares couldn't help but state in amusement. "You told me that you'd better not see my face 'on your doorstep'. This," he gestured around them, "Is not your doorstep. Rather, your backyard."

At the thought that she would try and threaten him, the amusement increased. Persephone could always be counted on to relieve the boredom. If she ever learned of this, Ares was sure that she would be sure to make herself even scarcer than she already did whenever he was around. And while normally the thought of his father caused him to seethe and retreat, this time he just raised his brow. For this, his father would see reason and grant him leeway. When she brought up Aphrodite however, he paused, the mirth he'd been feeling a moment ago fading a bit. While it was true thanks to Hephaestus as well as Helios announcing their tryst to all of Olympus, Ares and Aphrodite faced flak and had to take steps when they met. And yes, they still continued with their liaisons they were like any other couple who had rough patches where they were fighting.

Persephone it seemed was finally starting to act like the conniving goddess she was. He had to applaud her that. It didn't make her less in his eyes since he readily admitted that all Olympians were like that. It just seemed that she needed more of push to get her there and to think he was the one to finally do it actually stroked his ego and it showed on his face how pleased he was at her 'threat'.

His eyes had followed her curl before focusing on her face and he couldn't help find her anger towards him a bit intoxicating. "Be my guest," he answered with confidence. "But, do you really want to do that?" His tone suggested that she might want to reconsider.
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly 13th November 2017, 2:39 pm

Living away from the other gods for so much of the year has made her lax.  She's forgotten how careful she needs to be when she speaks, lest a literal meaning provide a loophole like this one.  Still, there's always a way to trap someone in their own cleverness.

"Very true, Ares, well spotted," she says calmly, clasping her hands in front of her and canting her head to the side.  "It's so nice to see that your intelligence has evolved far enough that you can recognize differences between places.  Last I saw you, you were still hitting things with sticks as a form of problem-solving."

She can't help a small smirk at the mental image of Caveman-Ares trying to beat his troubles into submission.  It's not too far off his real attitude as far as she can tell, which makes it funnier still.

"As for Aphrodite, I think she'd be very interested to hear about how poor your manners have been," she says, placing her hands on her hips and pursing her lips in a moue of disappointment. "So boorish and unruly.  Entirely unbecoming of one of the Pantheon, let alone the consort of the goddess of love."

She shakes her head, sending her curls flying.  She feels as if she's scolding a naughty child, which isn't too far from the truth. For a deity that is supposed to be as close to the epitome of masculinity as possible without being Zeus, he's surprisingly childish.  The pettiness, cunning, and a taste for conflict she's come to expect, but immaturity is more foreign to her.

"What do you think? Shall I call your keeper?" Her tone is ever so slightly mocking, though she wishes she was brave enough not to restrain herself. He deserves her mockery, the strutting, arrogant prick. And yet, she doesn't trust herself to be able to talk her way out of any trouble that comes from it.
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand 13th November 2017, 2:41 pm

Sneering at her rejoinder, his only come back was, "It makes me feel better. You should try it sometime. Keeping everything bottled up isn't healthy." There were other ways to vent which he's done and depending on what the problem was, yes, he did 'hit things with sticks'. At least it wasn't his sword. He'd learned that one the hard way. Arching a brow he leered, "Unless you get off a different way with my dear old uncle?"

With a swagger in his step, Ares moved closer to the woman and tilted his head. "Really? And here I thought I've been the epitome of polite." He'd always been if not cordial or polite, at least he spoke and acted civilly with her. As for her other unfounded accusations and assumptions, it sounded more like she was describing his lover's husband. His eyes watched the bouncing curls and was tempted to touch them. The thought of her calling Aphrodite had him pause then he laughed as something came to him and he took another daring step forward keeping his gaze locked on the goddess. "Why don't you go ahead? I'm quite curious to see how you would react when I tell her the reason you're asking for her is because you wanted to explore what being the goddess of love is all about."
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly 13th November 2017, 2:46 pm

"Oh Ares, I didn't think you cared," she declares breathlessly, the effect somewhat marred by the mocking smile on her lips as she presses a hand to her chest dramatically. "As for my marriage, you can mind your own business."

He steps closer, gaze locked on hers, and her first instinct is to step back and get out of his way. Her second instinct is to stand her ground, just to be obstinate. The end result is something in the middle - she takes a half step back and then stops herself, setting her jaw and meeting the taller god's gaze.

"Ah yes," she says sardonically, crossing her arms over her chest. "Because repeatedly trespassing, not to mention attempting to steal the guard dog and antagonizing the residents, qualifies as polite."

She very nearly steps back again, surprised by the turn his response takes but stops herself. She unequivocally refuses to let him rattle her, and on a whim, she decides it's time to turn the tables. It's about time dear Ares got a taste of his own medicine.

"Oh, I'm sure you'd love that," she replies, looking up at him from under her lashes as she steps into him. "Although I can't imagine Aphrodite being overly impressed that you think she's enough of a fool to buy that."
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand 13th November 2017, 2:48 pm

"Naturally, I care. You have..." he paused, his expression showing that he was trying to think of a way to say it, "some influence on the seasonal weather conditions. So your marriage issues are everyone's business," he gave a smug smile at her.

The expression in his eyes when she holds her ground showed his approval and admiration. However, she had to stop telegraphing her unease with that defensive habit of crossing her arms. He doesn't bother to refute or deny her accusation since they were a bit true. Although, he only borrowed the mutt. And the only resident he was 'antagonizing' was the vision in front of him. Ares wanted to do more than that and truly vex her. The war god's expression turned predatory as she attempted to 'call' his so called bluff. "I would," he stated honestly and feels himself reacting to her closeness as well as all the strong conflicting feelings.

Once she was close enough to inhale the scent of her, Ares shot out a hand to grab her neck and brought his face down to crash his lips against hers.
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly 13th November 2017, 2:49 pm

She's about to reply, fully intending to call him several unflattering names, but before she can his hand is around her neck and his lips are on hers. Her quick intake of breath is smothered by the kiss, and for a second she finds herself responding as she struggles to sort out all conflicting feelings that are rushing through her head.

Anger is first and foremost - how dare he kiss her? She's a married woman, and her husband is his uncle! - closely followed by confusion, and then the tiniest bit of satisfaction. She knew there was more to the tension between them than Ares enjoying antagonizing her, and she can't deny that the kiss is electric. But it's wrong, and as soon as her sense of duty kicks in she jerks herself backward out of his grip.

"Don't touch me," she snaps, hands curling into fists at her sides as she fights her urge to slap him, or use her nails to gouge at his cheeks. That would serve him right, having to explain to Aphrodite where the marks had come from. Instead, she settles for backing up out of his reach and twisting her hands into the deep blue folds of her chiton, using the fabric to hide the tremors that are making her hands shake.

"You... You absolute pig. How dare you?!"
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand 13th November 2017, 2:50 pm

Even as lost to the sensation as he was, Ares still took note of how she responded and enjoyed the forbidden kiss just as much as he did. It also was too short in his opinion when she went to move away from. Letting his hand fall to rest on the pommel of his sword his lustful gaze stayed on her. Watched as she showed weakness again by backing away and seemed to want to curl in on herself as if that would be able to hide her from his eyes.

Anger flared up as his eyes narrowed and a mean look came across his face. "I dared because you wanted it too. Admit it." His whole posture screamed a challenge at her to refute the fact that he hadn't been the only one enjoying the experience. He'd had one taste and it wasn't nearly enough. Ares wanted more. He'd always found her attractive and like a siren, but now, he was a bit intoxicated.

She would never had dared to respond to the attraction he knew she felt as well. So he had and she wanted to act innocent now? Ares' lip curled as he invaded her space to close the gap she had created. "You want me just as much as I want you."
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly 13th November 2017, 2:53 pm

She's so wrapped up in sorting through what just happened that she doesn't notice him closing the gap between them, looming over her imperiously. She can't back up again - he'll just keep coming - so she does the one thing left to do. She slaps him as hard as she can, and makes a point of curling her fingers just enough to drive her nails into his face as her hand makes contact. The sound the impact makes is sickeningly sharp, and she doesn't wait around to find out what his reaction is.

"No!" She says, backing up further and casting about for something -anything really - to put between herself and the lustful god. She's still torn - it's been so long since anyone's showed interest in her, and even deities need to feel wanted - but her fear of him is rapidly overwhelming any attraction she was feeling a moment ago.

"You know nothing about what I want," she says, struggling to calm herself before she makes a mistake. She's already half wild with panic, so it's slow going, but once her breathing is steady and the shaking has subsided she finds she can stand up straight and meet his gaze again.

The want in his eyes makes her stomach turn, because he might be just the tiniest bit right. She's starved for attention, and is it so wrong that she wants to feel wanted? It is, and she knows it - she's the queen of the underworld, and her position rests on being faithful to her husband. Still, a tiny, tiny part of her wishes that she didn't have to be so dutiful.

"You know what I want, Ares? I want you to leave. Now." She growls, her already tenuous hold on her temper snapping. "You're not welcome here, and if you don't go of your own accord I will have you thrown out."
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand 13th November 2017, 2:54 pm

The sting of the slap he'd received wasn't the cause for Ares immediate halt. He had half expected to be slapped after she ended their brief kiss but she had shown more restraint than that. Ares was the god of war and anger, he pushed people and he knew that at times he pushed too far and they broke. Anger came naturally to him and it was what he felt when she outright denied that she felt anything. The stored up anger, humiliation, and bitter resentment he held towards her as and his 'family' shone through briefly before he masked it.

There was also anger and disgust directed at both himself and Persephone. They could say what they wanted about him, but he never forced himself on anyone. He'd even killed one of Poseidon's brat's for doing that to one of his daughters. Yet, he'd been the monster because he'd killed the demigod.

He'd chased after Persephone before she'd been made to live in the Underworld and forced to marry his uncle. Ares didn't see why she chose to remain chaste to that man. Aphrodite was also forced to marry Hephaestus and yet he was the monster because he kept being her lover even after she was wed. And now because he'd given Persephone a taste of something that she so clearly and desperately wanted, once again he was being treated as the villain. While used to being on the outs from his family because of his actions, Ares at least was honest.

Seeing that she had gotten control of herself he gave a mock bow at her 'request'. "I'll leave you alone to stew, Persephone. But, I'm not leaving until I finish what I came here for." Sneering he added, "And that wasn't you. You were just an added bonus."
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly 13th November 2017, 2:55 pm

An added bonus? His comment makes her lip curl, anger and disgust curdling in her stomach as he sketches a mocking bow in her direction. Every man - god or otherwise - is the same. She's just a prize to be won with no agency of her own in their minds. Zeus, Hades, Ares - they see her as something to conquer, not a deity in her own right.

"And what would that be?" she sneers, pushing down her guilty internal conflict and instead focusing on the slight satisfaction she feels watching the welts rise on his cheek. "There's nothing here to take."

Unless he plans on trying to take a soul with him like Orpheus, there's nothing of value in the underworld. Hades takes his helm of darkness with him wherever he goes, and she's not foolish enough to bring anything with her when she leaves her mother's home in the fall. She can't imagine what he would want here, and she realizes that she doesn't care. She isn't some guard dog for Hades' treasure - Ares can take what he wants and sort it out with Hades. Heavens forbid her husband has to solve his own problem for once.

"Just leave, Ares." She's suddenly tired, her anger burning low and turning inwards, mixing with the heavy guilt that seems to rest just below her ribs. The last thing she needs is for him to see her fall to pieces, although she's sure he'd enjoy it even more than he seems to have enjoyed kissing her. "Whatever you came for, just take it and leave me be."
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand 13th November 2017, 2:56 pm

Biting back his sarcastic reply to her question that he was sure was meant to be rhetorical, Ares dark eyes simmered with his controlled ire. Giving her a look as an adult would a child he reiterates that he wasn't leaving until he'd finished his business in the Underworld. As it was, he'd been taking a walk along the Styx to try and make up his mid if he was going to respond to his halfblood child's request. After his interaction with Persephone, he more inclined to help his child out rather than ignore the plea and let them sort out their own trials. The vial was resting in a pocket on the inside of his vest.

"You were never on my agenda when I came down here today. You just happened along." Ares made sure to emphasis that point and gave a cold smile. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way."

Without waiting for yet another dismissal, he gave a last sneer as he made sure that when he walked around and past her deeper into the Underworld he gave her a wide birth before disappearing in a flash of purplish light.
Niemand
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly 13th November 2017, 2:57 pm

"Good. Fates help me on the day I am on your list," she says bitterly, standing stock still as he steps around her with a sneer. "Please, do hurry up and spare me your company."

He doesn't reply and is promptly swallowed by a burst of lilac light. She waits for a few seconds until she's certain he's gone and then sinks down onto the dirt with a shaky exhale. The dead leaves and grasses cling to her skirt, and she's certain to look a mess if anyone stumbles across her, but she doesn't care. She's far too absorbed in sorting out the panicky knot of guilt, longing, and misery that's been stirred up in her chest.

So much has been changed by one little action. For the first time in millennia, someone's shown interest in her. Of course, it had to be the lover of another goddess, and someone she despises at that. Her position of queen of the underworld hangs in the balance if her husband finds out, but she knows he won't; that would require him to care enough to come home. No, the problem is that she almost wishes that Ares would come back and make her feel wanted again.

Almost.
Holly
Holly
Partner
Partner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down