» Adjusting Focus
by Niemand 18th September 2018, 4:52 pm

» The Story That Never Starts
by Niemand 18th September 2018, 4:19 pm

» Turn the Page
by Holly 16th September 2018, 3:36 pm

Top posting users this month

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Muse on your social bookmarking website

Turn the Page

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Turn the Page

Post by Niemand on 13th September 2018, 1:59 pm

The sting in his cheek literally halted Ares in his tracks. He stared with surprise more than pain. Incredulous, he shouted, "You slapped me! Again!" That hurt! Unlike last time where it had been a defensive action, this time she had really put some punch into it. Bringing up his hand to his cheek automatically and reflexively pulled it away and stared at the blood on his hand. The goddess had gouged him!

The rage and anger he'd been feeling earlier hadn't left him, just lowered to a simmer. He hissed and glared at the goddess but he couldn't suppress the smile that stretched his mouth at her daring. It pulled on the cuts, which stung, but it would fade soon enough. His gaze slid past her to the demigod and he scowled. Ares was beyond furious now. While he didn't mind playing with people, he despised and hated when someone messed with his head. It was one thing to be manipulated, but it was quite another to actually get into his head and mess with him that way. The way the Manea had, how Kronos had, and now Tartarus. He was beyond sick of people warping his mind.

The slap brought him back, and while Ares was grateful for it, it just reinforced why he hated this place! Why he feared and dreaded it. Glaring at the demigod who'd tripped when he'd blocked Ares' spear, the god quickly moved around Persephone and retrieved his weapon. His head was clear now, but that didn't stop him from cruelly kicking the mortal and setting the spear tip at the boy's throat. "I want the sword."

The kid trembled but then lifted his head up for Ares to do what he would and defiantly stated, "Kill me. You'll both be next!" Lifting a finger, he pointed beyond Ares. Looking behind him, his eyes widened as his face paled. A titan was in mid-swing with a cudgel towards them. Ares didn't have any time to do anything but take the weapon to his midsection and go flying from the force of it and slide a few feet in the rocky sand.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 13th September 2018, 2:32 pm

"You slapped me! Again!"

Persephone exhaled in relief, meeting Ares' annoyed gaze with a smirk on her lips. She hadn't meant to gouge him, but clearly, it had worked. The war god had joined her again in reality.

"You can thank me later," she drawled, following as he stalked off to confront the fallen demigod. She didn't even mind that much when he drove the toe of his boot into the demigod's stomach and pointed his sword-spear at his throat. After his attempted escape, she was quite happy to see the little whelp pinned down properly.

She saw the Titan at the same time that Ares did, revealed by the defiant demigod's trembling finger. There was nothing she could do but cringe back against the stone wall as Ares took the Titan's club in his abdomen, landing a few feet from where he'd been standing with a heavy thud.

The demigod was up and running like a shot, holding his ribs and limping as the Titan stalked towards Ares. She couldn't stop both, she knew that much. The boy was going to get away, but the Titan was about to reduce Ares to a bloody pulp. On the other hand, if the boy got away, the world was going to end anyway.

Calling her power, her palms glowed the same soft green as her portals. The boy took a step and then paused to look back at the Titan, giving or taking direction until she snapped her fingers. In the boy's place was a deep purple and red pansy plant, rooted into the black soil.

"And where do you think you're going?" She huffed.

Her triumph was short-lived as she turned to find the Titan drawing back his cudgel to deliver another blow to Ares.
There wasn't time to plan or even think. The glow around her palms returned and vines erupted out of the sand to wrap around the Titan's ankle. They crept up to his thigh before he began to tear at them with one hand, making her grit her teeth and pour more energy into the snaking greenery.
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 13th September 2018, 3:55 pm

Dazed, Ares could only think, 'Ow,' and groan in pain. Shaking his head to try and clear it some, he was very happy he didn't end up in the Lethe river. Getting to his feet, he saw that Persephone was trying to keep the Titan occupied with her vines. Ares knew that wouldn't last long. He scanned the area around them subconsciously cataloguing the new plant but not really taking it in quite yet. His focus and attention was on the main threat that he could see and sense. He'd never battled a Titan before. During the last war, he'd not been born yet; nor had most of his siblings. It had also taken all of the Olympians to defeat them the last time. While the Olympian numbers had swelled since then, so had the Titan's it seemed.

Coupled with his fear and adrenaline was excitement. It was in Ares' nature to embrace war; to inflame it. Fighting was something that was inbred in him. He'd also grown up hearing the stories of the Titan War and how strong they were. His eyes lit in anticipation to see if they were as strong as the stories said, as he shifted his spear into a Kopis styled sword. While the spear would have had the greater reach, he was much more efficient with a sword. It also made better for cutting and quickness.

Unsure what Persephone's plan or goal was aside from keeping the Titan immobilized, Ares darted in and began to dodge the wild swings in between taking vicious slices at the Titan's exposed areas. Once or twice, he'd had to meet the cudgel with his blade and his arms strained giving merit about the strength of the Titans. A backhand caught him unawares and he once again went flying to land hard on his back. Gritting his teeth, he stood back up burning with anger and humiliation. This would have been so much easier if he wasn't limited. He attacked with renewed fury.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 13th September 2018, 7:56 pm

Watching Ares and the Titan fight was like trying to watch a maelstrom.  Things moved far too fast for her to focus on any one thing except for binding the Titan in place with her vines.  Even standing still, every time he moved a few of her vines broke away with soft snaps.  She always replaced them with new ones, but eventually, he'd get sick of his bindings and break them all at once.  She and Ares had a very narrow window in which to subdue the Titan and then question the thief before the Titan came around.

"If you could get to knocking him out sooner than later, that would be great!" She yelled over the Titan's enraged roaring.  "He's not going to be sitting still for much longer!"

Or at all, for that matter.  The Titan chose that moment to look down at the green tendrils that ensnared his leg and with a roar grabbed a handful near his knee and pulled the lot out at the root.  Persephone paled as the glow faded from her hands.  This was very, very bad.  Ares wasn't losing, but he wasn't winning either.  Unless he could pacify the Titan before the Titan forcibly subdued him, there wouldn't be much point in their quest as they would likely both be dead.  

Cursing violently in Greek, she decided a change of tactics was in order.  Running around the edge of the fight, she bent to scoop up the richly coloured flower that had formerly been the thief and the dirt it was rooted in.  It wasn't much, and she doubted Ares would like it, but it was better than dying here.  

"Hey!" She shouted, trying to get the Titan's attention as she held the flower over her head. "See this?  This was your demigod friend.  Come and get him!"  

In hindsight, it was probably beyond stupid to get the attention of an enraged Titan when she herself had her hands full and no weapons to speak of, but she hoped that Ares would eventually come to her rescue when he finished cursing her out for her stupidity.  Or laughing.  Or both.  

"That's right, chase the pretty girl," she murmured, beginning to back up towards the gap in the wall where they had entered the cavern as the Titan turned and fixed its gaze on her.  "Come on, you know you want to."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 13th September 2018, 8:51 pm

Ares glared at her and gave her the 'You think?' look. What did she think he was trying to do? Dance with it? Knocking out a Titan wasn't that easy. It was strong! That fact scared and excited him in equal measures. 'If she wants to trade places, I'd be more than happy to oblige.' Not like he couldn't have figured that out himself. And it wasn't like he could hit the Titan with any fireballs or lightning. The only fire he could really conjure up down here was a really weak fire for light.

Trying to keep the Titan's attention on himself rather than Persephone and her vines wasn't easy when she was SHOUTING AT HIM! He'd managed a lucky shot before the Titan got free and what the hell was Persephone doing?! He nearly palmed his face but as it was, he just stared dumbfounded at her actions. Really? Really? What made her think the Titan even cared about the twit that let him loose from his prison? Whatever mutual beneficial arrangement they had, it wasn't going to hold up.

"That's right, chase the pretty girl," Ares heard her say.  "Come on, you know you want to."

Ares was torn between laughter and swearing. Opening his mouth to say something sarcastic, he paused as the Titan decided, yes, it did want to chase the 'pretty girl'. Rubbing at his eyes exasperated, he finally uttered, "You are not the brightest one of your family are you?"

Nope, it wasn't. It ran at Persephone and when she squeezed into the hole, the Titan kept going and ran straight into the cliff. Getting out of its path, Ares watched it fall having knocked itself out. Turning to the goddess he arched his brow. "I'll have to remember that one for next time."
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 13th September 2018, 9:50 pm

She hadn't entirely intended to knock the Titan out using the rock wall, but it had worked out rather well so she pretended otherwise. Poking her head out of the hole in the wall she flashed a bright grin at the skeptical god of war.

"You're welcome," she replied archly, picking her way over the fallen Titan and back to his side with her hands still full of dirt and the demigod-turned-perennial. "Here, hold this."

Dumping the red and purple plant along with the accompanying dirt into his hands she took a deep breath and set her palms to glowing green.

"You may want to hold on to him. He'll be quite disoriented," she warned, the glow intensifying and pulsing until she snapped her fingers and the plant in Ares' hands reformed itself into the bedraggled, bleeding demigod.

"Now," she announced, placing her hands primly on her hips and pursing her lips. "You, my dear boy, are going to tell us where my sword is."

"Like hell I am," the demigod ground out, thrashing weakly against Ares' grip. "I told you before - you'll have to kill me because I won't tell you anything."

"Tell me," she purred, waggling her fingers as a saccharine smile spread across her lips. "How did you enjoy your time as a plant? Would you like to repeat it?"

The boy paled, Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed nervously.

"I thought not." She nodded serenely. "Now, the sword?"

"Back there," the boy said, jerking his head back the way they had all encountered one another. "I dropped it when I fell. I don't know where it went."

Persephone rolled her eyes. How had they missed that? Perhaps they'd been a little too enthusiastic in their pursuit of him.

Nothing to be done about it now, she thought with a sigh.

"Ares, if you'd be so kind as to...Deal with our friend?" She arched an eyebrow as she bunched her skirts in her hands in preparation for stepping over the Titan again. "I'll go get the blasted thing."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 13th September 2018, 10:14 pm

"Here, hold this."

Before he knew it, the goddess was putting the flower he'd noticed earlier into his hands. Ares gave it a disgusted look and wanted to ask why he had to hold it, but kept his mouth shut. It was the right thing to do as the next thing she said clued him in. He had forgotten her tendency to turn people into plants. Much like Dionysus loved to transform people that got on his nerves. It just reminded Ares that he really didn't want to get that far on the goddess' list. He didn't fancy spending time as a plant. Being mortal had been bad enough!

Not bothering to hide his amusement, the god smirked at kid's attitude and really hoped he'd keep it up and become a plant again. Alas, the kid had self preservation and answered the question. Glancing where the kid gestured, Ares wanted to groan. All that time they could have just grabbed the sword and gone? Not that tangling with the Titan hadn't been fun, he just would have preferred a better setting where he could have gone at it full power. And without having had his head messed with.

"Wait, what?" Ares asked as looked form the goddess to the kid and Titan and back to the goddess. She however, was already moving towards the sword. Keeping a hold on the demigod, he dragged the kid none too gently towards Persephone. While he would dearly love to make the kid a permanent resident in the Underworld, he could feel something on the kid. The Fates had touched him. Which meant he was off limits to Ares. Sighing, he looked on the bright side; those often touched by Fate suffered greatly.

Seeing that Persephone got her ruddy sword back, Ares opened a portal and stepped through back to the beginning of this nightmare. Shoving the kid away from him he sneered, "Run maggot."

The kid wasted no time and took off for one of the other entrances that led back to the mortal world. Turning, Ares crossed his arms and arched a brow. "Well, that was fun."
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 13th September 2018, 10:38 pm

Persephone picked her way over the prone Titan with a sigh. They'd wasted so much time chasing the demigod when the sword was right under their noses. So much terror and angsting for the thing that the thief dropped before they'd even fully laid hands on him. It was right out in the open too - lying just beyond the spot where the boy had first fallen.

How did we miss that?! She wondered again, grasping the handle and heaving it up so that she could lay her other palm on the flat of the blade and support it. It was comically big for her, having been made for a man considerably taller than her, but she managed to carry it back to the portal that Ares was holding open.

"I say again, you and I have very different definitions of 'fun'," she replied, shaking her head as she stepped over the divide between Tartarus and the Underworld. Almost immediately she could breathe easier, her tension and fear beginning to ebb away. They had the sword and they had survived Tartarus - things were beginning to look up somewhat.

"How are your ribs?" She asked, frowning as she remembered the sound he'd made as he'd hit the ground after the Titan's club had made him airborne. "I think he bashed you around as much as you did him."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 13th September 2018, 11:00 pm

Chuckling, Ares didn't dwell on the last time the comment was said or what happened afterward. Watching her carefully, he gave a faux expression of surprise. "Now, you're concerned about me? I'm touched."

Well, he wouldn't have been bashed about so much if he wasn't in the Underworld now would he? Yes, he'd likely still had his ass handed to him, but it wouldn't have been so humiliating. It was just lucky they drew the better lot and got a Titan with a small brain. Things could have gone a lot worse than they had.

Titling his head he considered her. "What about you?" She had told him that she had heard things in the tunnel. Or at least that's what he thought she had said. He wasn't quite sure. It had been hard for him to concentrate on anything but the illusion. Ares knew what it was like to have voices in your head that weren't yours, but that you thought were.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 13th September 2018, 11:22 pm

While they were in Tartarus, Persephone had almost forgotten that she and Ares hadn't spoken to one another in nearly six months. She'd forgotten that their relationship was in shambles, likely unable to be repaired. It had almost been easy, working as a team, but all good things had to come to an end.

She was fairly sure his expression of surprise was an act to go along with his teasing, but she couldn't stop her stomach from lurching guiltily over how things had gone the last time they'd encountered one another. She'd been foolish and cruel, and he'd made it clear that she'd overstepped.

"It will pass," she said, an involuntary shudder running up her spine as she remembered the silken voice in her thoughts that was fully confident that the two of them would die in that tunnel between the walls. She counted herself lucky that they'd both escaped with no more than minor injuries, including the cut on his cheek from her nails. For such a foolhardy expedition to such a dangerous place, that they'd come out in one piece was nothing short of a miracle.

"You ought to get that cut cleaned," she said, filling the impending silence before it could become unpleasant. "The last thing you need is a wound from Tartarus festering."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 13th September 2018, 11:46 pm

'That's what I said too.' Ares uncrossed his arms and he wanted to step closer and take her in his arms. He'd been in her situation before and knew as she said, it would pass. It would just be a matter of time and she had to deal with it in her own way. Besides, it wasn't as if she would welcome his attempt at comforting her. Trying to give someone else solace? That wasn't really in his emotional repertoire.

Letting his wrist come to rest on his pommel, he reached up with his other hand to touch his cheek and winced. He'd forgotten about that. "I'll be fine. I'll just steal some of Tobias' potions." His grin turned into a wince when the cut pulled. It turned into a pout as he prodded at it. "You didn't have any poison on those nails did you? Maybe I should pick up some antidotes too..."

He was only half teasing. Ares knew she was able to defend herself in other ways. Aside from turning people into trees and other plant life, she was quite fierce when she wanted to be. Realizing that he'd been staring, he averted his eyes to look down at the sword she'd made. That twist in his guts had him scowling uncaring of the twinge in his cheek.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 14th September 2018, 12:47 am

Poison? Now there was a thought that hadn't ever crossed her mind.  What good would poison nails do her?  More likely than not she'd end up stabbing herself in her sleep and wake up either dead or to Asclepius in hysterics because she'd managed to poison herself.  Still, she was sure he was only teasing her.  He knew full well that that wasn't quite her style.  

"No, not yet." An impish grin spread across her lips. "Haven't had the time to have it installed."

It was only as she met his eyes to grin at him that she realized he was no longer looking at her but down at the sword with an unreadable expression on his face.  Her stomach sank as she wondered what exactly he was contemplating.  Stealing the sword?  Scolding her for making it?  Regretting his decision to help her?  

"I pity Tobias," she joked. "Somehow you don't strike me as the most...Compliant patient."  

It was hardly a witticism to be proud of, but she still hoped it would be enough to distract him.  She didn't want this - the teasing, the ease of being around him - to stop, though she knew it would eventually; inevitably.

Her attempt at comedy had little effect.  He was still off in his own world staring at the sword in her hands as if it held Gaia's own recipe for the creation of the world.  

"Ares," she said, trying to keep her tone light and joking.  "If you stare any harder you're going to melt it into slag right here and now."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 14th September 2018, 1:38 am

Why did it bother him so much that she had made the sword for her husband? He knew it wasn't for the power Hades would gain from it. While she was clever, Persephone wasn't one to do something underhanded. No, that was more Ares' style. The sword was dangerous and because of that he was tempted by it, but he wouldn't reach out to try and claim it. Even if he'd not promised her aloud, he'd already made up his mind to help her reclaim the sword and if she desired it, to destroy it. There was also the fact that he did not wish to be a priority enemy of his father and uncles at this time. Ares liked all of his organs and limbs where they were.

'Jealousy,' whispered in his mind causing his insides to freeze and for him to actually feel sick. It seemed that she was right. It seemed he had a talent for bringing ruin to people's relationships as well as the person involved. He shouldn't feel this way because she had done something for her husband. This made it very clear that she at least still felt something for Hades.

Hearing his name, he snapped his eyes up to hers unaware if he was allowing his chaotic thoughts to surface there. Blinking, he tried for his normal reaction even if he only half heard what she said. "What? I thought that was where you wanted it? Or are you second guessing that?"

The only place she would likely be able to do that would be Hephaestus' forge. He might help her since she's a friend of Aphrodite's. Then again, who knows where Persephone hid the things she didn't want Hades or anyone else to find.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 14th September 2018, 1:58 am

Ares looked up and Persephone frowned. The look on his face was concerning, to say the least. He looked harrowed, even haunted by something. Was he feeling the effects of their 'field trip' too?

"I do, just not right this instant." She spoke slowly, watching him with concern and debating if she should ask him the same question he'd asked her. He'd likely just rebuff her, but she really was worried.

"I'll ask Hephaestus to melt it down, and then no one can have it." She explained, shifting her grip on the handle as she looked down at it. It really was a pretty blade, with ripples of oil-slick colour interspersed with the dark iron. Perhaps she could convince Hephaestus to save some of it and make something new. It would be a shame to waste it.

"Is something bothering you, Ares?" She asked after a moment's pause, frowning with concern as she tried to figure out what seemed to be eating him from the inside out. "You look as though you've seen a ghost."

The irony of speaking such a phrase in the Underworld wasn't lost on her, but amusement at her own witticisms could wait. If he was experiencing the same feelings as she was after being in contact with Tartarus, then she certainly wasn't going to abandon him to it. They'd get through it together if he'd let her help.
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 14th September 2018, 2:22 am

It was eerie how her thoughts echoed his about his brother. Hephaestus was likely to do it free of charge. To help out a friend of his wife's, as well as to help dear old dad keep power to himself. Ares nodded though to show that he'd been listening and agreed with her plan. When she asked if something was bothering him, he nearly snorted. That was the understatement of the century. It wasn't as if he could tell her what was bothering him. She already knew and he'd not cared, until recently.

"You look as though you've seen a ghost."

"Witty," came his sardonic reply. Internally he flinched away from the question. In a sense he had. While in Tartarus he could forget just for a bit that Persephone was sickened by him. While he very much wanted to know what she heard down there, he wouldn't push it. There were some things better left uncovered. If whatever she heard had her behaving like this, or if it was the feelings from coming out victorious, he would play along. He would pretend everything was fine for as long as he could.

"I'll be fine." Ares gave her the smile he'd long come to perfect and use as a mask. He waved off her concern. "Just a bit sore. Not used to taking on a Titan."

Knowing he'd left himself open for jabs, Ares expected it of her. True humor came to his eyes however when he added, "Would you like me to walk you home, Highness, just to be sure your prize gets there safely?"
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 14th September 2018, 2:34 am

His assurances did nothing to ease her concern. His flippant tone didn't match the look she'd seen on his face, but she decided not to push her luck. She didn't want to upset him, especially not when he'd offered to walk her back to the palace. It was futile to draw this out, but she couldn't help herself - she didn't want him to go.

Pointedly not commenting on exactly how thin his excuses were, she gave him a wry smile. "If you can spare a moment from your busy day, then yes I would."

She shouldn't keep him long. They were going to be missed on Olympus if they spent much more time here, regardless of how time flowed differently in Tartarus. The last thing either of them needed was rumours starting about a tryst when nothing could be further from the truth. Her mother would likely already be looking for her, and Persephone didn't want to find out what colours the agrarian goddess' face could turn if she found out her daughter had been spending time with the God of War and the God of the Dead.

"Shall we?" She arched a brow, taking a step forward in the direction they had come. "I'm sure you'd prefer to leave here sooner than later."

Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 14th September 2018, 3:22 am

A genuine sound of amusement escaped. Running off into Tartarus following a demigod thief, having his mind hijacked so he'd have hallucinations, and battling a Titan did make for a busy day. Not to mention the tedious meeting of the Olympian council before that. Before their little side trip, he had meant to talk to some minor deities for the upcoming war. He had without any hesitation put that aside in order to help Persephone. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, he was fond of the goddess. Even knowing what it would bring later, he would suffer the consequences.

Giving a mock bow, he followed as close to her as he could get away with. How wrong she was about him wanting to leave as soon as he could. Ares would respect her wishes and leave as soon as she bid him to. Part of him wished to linger just to annoy his uncle. Most of the reason was because he didn't want to part ways with her quite yet. 'I prefer to stay in your presence.' Even with his thoughts confused, he knew that much. It was selfish and he was a selfish god. Because he was selfish and he even if he wanted to stay in her company, he couldn't help remarking, "Is that an invitation or a request to leave here together?"
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 14th September 2018, 4:16 pm

She felt a spark of pride when a sound of real, true amusement escaped Ares' throat. Most times there was a hard edge of sarcasm or derision to his laughter, and it seemed that his genuine amusement was something very special indeed. She'd tried to be clever whenever she encountered him, but somehow she'd never managed to make him laugh like that until now. It felt like an accomplishment.

She was keenly aware of his presence beside her as they walked. It was comforting knowing that he was still there, as though he could keep her safe from the fear that nestled in the back of her mind. They were out of Tartarus, but she still feared the being that jailed the Titans and other monsters. If he could speak to her in her own head, what else could he have done to her? Something more permanent perhaps?

She decided she didn't want to know. She had a little more time with Ares, and she wasn't going to waste it worrying about what was behind them.

"Does it matter?" She smiled, casting a sidelong glance at him. "We're leaving together anyway, so the point is moot."

A moment later she relented, still smiling. "Both. We'll call it both."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 14th September 2018, 4:52 pm

The god of war endeavored to make as if her answer was of no great import, when in fact he was waiting on tenterhooks. He had known her words before he'd asked had been a polite way of dismissing him. And yet, and yet, he had hoped that she had only commented from her recall that she had intercepted him when he'd been on his way to discuss business. He would lie to himself later that he'd felt a pit form from her words until the smile she had given him along with her glance made him feel a bit lighter. Nor would he admit that he'd answered her with a similar smile which grew to a smug look at her last words.

For Ares at least, the walk back to her palace was one of contentment, soaking up the nearness of the goddess and her non-hostility towards him. It was a novel feeling. Usually, even when they've been amiable towards one another, there had always been that underlying current of something. It was likely distrust on her part, he knew it was on his. As much as he'd tried to open up to her, he was still resisting and holding back; testing and prodding her. Trying to see how much she could discern as the real him and not just the illusion. There were still mixed emotions and thoughts on if he truly wanted her to see beyond his exterior.

After she'd placed the sword back into the room from which it had been stolen, this time with more security in place, Ares offered his hand and an arched brow in challenge. He smirked when she took it. It was almost like their old game and how she wouldn't back down but rise to his challenges. Using his own powers to open a portal to the ether and pulled her through it to his room on Olympus. It didn't matter that she would likely scowl at him and demand why he had brought her here after last time. And for a moment, he had wondered himself but shrugged it off. It was the best place to come as far as he was concerned.

While Ares knew that Persephone had to get back to the Underworld per the stipulations of her curse/contract, he wanted to prolong her departure. Not letting go of her hand, he caressed the top of it with his thumb before bringing her hand up to kiss then reluctantly let it go. Giving her a smile that didn't reach his eyes, he informed her, "I'll show you that tunnel on how to get to the Observation Hall from here."

He turned and headed towards the back of his chambers, behind the curtain from where his bed lay with his chest of cloths and the mannequin that held his battle armor. If he showed her the entrance, she'd be able to come anytime she wanted or show anyone she wanted. Only two people knew of this tunnel that he was aware of. He doubted that his father or mother knew of it. He'd created this one himself to try and escape from them when he could. There was only a fraction of hesitancy from him before he sighed and sent a very minute amount of his power to pulse in the swirl of marble by the mannequin's helmeted head.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 14th September 2018, 9:49 pm

It was pleasantly strange, walking with him in companionable silence. Usually, their encounters were full of talking - arguing back and forth, trading barbs, trying to find the soft spot under the other deity's metaphorical armor. Arguably it was strange to be feeling companionable towards him at all, given their mutual distrust, but she had no complaints. She liked how easy it felt, and the smile he gave her in response to her own.

With the sword safely back on its pedestal, he'd offered her a challenge by way of an arched eyebrow and extended hand. She placed her hand in his without hesitation, letting him draw her through the portal into a familiar space.

She hadn't been in his quarters since that disastrous argument. It's still very much the same, right down to Ares' touch on her skin. She hoped he wasn't going to disappear again, nor try and cut her off like he had. She was about to open her mouth to speak - to ask if there was a particular reason they'd found themselves in his rooms - when he stroked his thumb over her knuckles and lifted her hand to his lips.

Part of her swore he was doing it on purpose just to hear her poor heart stop. The other part of her that insisted that there was no way he could still feel anything for her was tangibly softening. She let out a soft breath as he hesitated and then released her hand, offering to show her a shortcut through to the Observation Hall.

She'd never thought she'd see what lay beyond the curtain that separated his bed from his dressing area. His armor, neatly placed on a mannequin, was especially fascinating. She studied it, taking in the details until she felt him release a tiny pulse of power.

It seemed they were almost out of time before they had to part. Not wanting to miss her chance, she laid a hand on his arm to get his attention.

"I'm glad you came," she said quietly, feeling as though she ought to be whispering in the silence of the space. "Thank you."

Thanking him verbally was risky, she knew. Being indebted to another deity was dangerous and complicated, but he'd asked her to trust him in Tartarus. This was her way of showing him that she did - by trusting him not to use her gratitude against her.

Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 16th September 2018, 12:08 am

At  the touch on his arm, Ares turned to look the goddess in the eyes, trying to keep everything he felt locked away but couldn't hide his surprise. He searched her gaze as if trying to see if there was a layer of mockery but there wasn't; nothing was read there but exactly what she stated. Something warm unfurled in him as he swallowed thickly and nodded. His mouth twitched unsure in whether it was to default to his natural wry expression or a more sincere one before fading all together. He was able to finally get out, "It was my pleasure."

It was a revelation to him that he actually meant the words. He was pleased that she had chosen him to request help from no matter her reasons behind it. Ares got to spend time with her as well as see her vent her ire on someone other than himself. She had been beautiful when she'd been threatening that mortal. Wisely, he'd kept his comments to himself, of course he'd also been trying to not be put out with being in charge of the insect when she fetched the sword. It was something he would be keeping to himself since he didn't think she's be all that pleased if he tried to compliment her.

Of its own volition, his hand rose to move an errant curl out of her face, his fingertips lingering and tracing down her cheek. Ares knew he shouldn't touch, but it was so tempting with her so close to him after so long apart. He hadn't dared go anywhere he would think she would be and made sure when dealing with his Uncle Hades, he kept it quick and to the point. Playing with fire would get him burnt, but it was fun in the interim. On impulse he invaded her space, but slow enough she could push him away if she wanted to. Bending his head down he captured her lips in a brief kiss before pulling back unsure what to say.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 16th September 2018, 12:46 am

The look he gave her as he tried to discern any hidden meanings behind her words.  It went deep, and for once he didn't seem to know what to make of what he found there.  The corner of his mouth twitched and then relaxed before he spoke, assuring that it had been his pleasure to help her.  Just when she'd thought her heartbeat couldn't race anymore, he went and made it stutter just that much faster.  

Damn him and his ability to turn her into a blushing mess.  Who gave him the right to have so much influence over her?  

You did, her internal voice spoke up.  If you hadn't let Ares in, he wouldn't be able to have such an effect.

Oh, hells. Persephone thought, watching as he moved into her space and lowered his lips to hers.  The kiss was brief, but after six months of denying that she'd missed such affection, it was enough to make her see stars.  It took a split second for her to register his withdrawal and get her breath back so that she could speak.  Or at least try to form words that just wouldn't come off of her tongue.  

What could she say now?  They had to go back to Olympus before her husband, or her mother noticed how long she'd taken;  before someone realized that Ares was conspicuously absent.  

She hated to leave.  There would be celebration and mischief tonight as the gathered deities let themselves relax after the meeting, but it seemed so dull now.  What fun would it be to stare at Ares from across the room when he was right in front of her now?

You should go.  There will be trouble otherwise. The little voice spoke again, and Persephone had to acknowledge its truth.  Better to leave now and avoid suspicion falling on them both.  

She bit her lip and let her hand trail down his arm, her fingers catching on his for the briefest of seconds.   "We should go.  Someone is going to notice that we're missing."
Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 16th September 2018, 1:16 am

"Notice that you're missing," he corrected. The only time the gods bothered to find out Ares' whereabouts was for their entertainment (Hephaestus' traps), to blame him for something, or because he was needed for this or that. Mainly, he was left alone to his own accord. It had its uses, such as them being used to his behavior these past months of avoiding anything to do with Olympus like the plague.

He agreed with her though. The last thing they needed was Persephone's overbearing mother and Hades suspicious. While he didn't think anyone would ever consider that the goddess of vegetation would spend her time willingly with the god of war. If she was found missing, the first thought that would have come to Ares' mind was she got bored and went home to the Underworld. The others though would invent any gossip to please them, be it true or not. Anything to divert or delay the tedium.

It was so tempting to press his luck, try and convince Persephone to stay with him rather than return to the others. Suppressing his wants, and how much he desired her, Ares composed himself as he retreated a step. Breaking his gaze from her, he nodded down the tunnel. "Just follow the tunnel to the dead end. You should find my mark and press it. It'll let you out."

From there, she'd be in the Observation Hall and easily make her way to where everyone was gathered. Or backtrack to her own rooms or wherever she had said she'd gone as a ruse. He'd seal the wall as soon as she stepped through. Whether he decided to make an appearance at the gathering was up for debate.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 16th September 2018, 1:43 am

She made a face when he corrected her. Perhaps the other deities might not realize his absence right away, but she would. It felt like she was leaving him behind, and she didn't like it in the slightest.

"Dead end, push the Ares-button to get out. Got it." His gaze had seemed to wander to anything but her, and not for the first time she wished she could see what was going on in his head. At the moment she would have given almost anything to understand him even a little bit better.

She wracked her brain trying to think of something witty to say that could delay her leaving. She thought about turning the tables and kissing him or throwing caution to the wind entirely, but eventually, she would have to go. The Underworld was home for the foreseeable future, and it brooked no argument about whether or not she had to return at the end of every day.

"Do try and avoid getting into trouble Ares," she said, a wry smile touching her lips as she stepped into the doorway. He'd find some mischief to get into as surely as the sun would rise in the morning, and for once she didn't feel the slightest bit guilty about hoping that he'd find it somewhere in the Underworld.

"And take care," she added more seriously. Taking one last look over her shoulder, she turned and began to walk down the tunnel.

Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niemand on 16th September 2018, 2:47 am

Whether the quip was intentional or not, Ares' lips twitched again, this time in amusement . Push his button, indeed. Persephone knew just which buttons to push for many things.

"Do try and avoid getting into trouble Ares."

He nearly laughed at that but shook his head, eyes lighting up with mirth and a bit of a challenge. It wasn't as if he went looking...okay, maybe he went and intentionally sought out something that would land him in a fix. More often then not, they just landed in his lap. Hazards, or perks depending on your viewpoint, of the job. Perhaps he should go out and find some now for the sake of it. It would prove more pleasurable than having to deal with his family.

At her parting words, Ares didn't know what to make of her sentiment. He supposed that was her version of 'goodbye'. It felt bittersweet causing him to pause, his brows furrowed not used to these emotions. Keeping his eyes on the goddess' retreating back, he sent another pulse into the wall to close it. It slid shut without him being aware, lost in thought puzzling about the goddess and what she was doing to him. There was a maelstrom going on inside of him that he was trying to pick apart.

Things used to be simple. He knew he was in love with Aphrodite and delighted in cuckolding his brother for costing him the goddess' hand. Ares flouted his father's rules interfering more than he should at times with the demigods. When he was in a jealous rage because his lover had chosen someone as a flavor of the week or month, he'd spend more time devising ways for interesting payback. There was only one time that he'd actually gone so far as to actually do something about her choice in men.

Even when he'd fist started with Persephone it had started out as a fortuitous happenstance. She'd intrigued him from the beginning, after his uncle had laid claim to her he'd kept his distance. Until he'd met the mutt and she'd been there; defied  and challenged him. That had started it. Then, Aphrodite had rejected him. Something she'd never done before. He was still struggling with the fact he partially deserved it. Yet, he'd never thought she would do such a thing. That played a part in why he threw himself into his game with the Queen of the Underworld. Now, there were muddy eddies that he was floundering in and it was Persephone's fault!

He'd tried to distance himself again and had felt a similar ache as when Aphrodite gave him the cold shoulder. After seeing her again, he couldn't go back to ignoring her and treating her indifferently. At least, not tonight. It was confusing and he hated to be confused! In no mood to go mingle, he vanished from his room to reappear in Tibet with a wicked grin on his face. Perhaps his younger brother could fill in some of the blanks on Persephone while Ares rooted through his elixers.

It seemed as though the fates were against him with this venture. Tobias was nowhere to be found. Likely off on an errand of their father's or whatever "mission of peace" the monks had him pulling. Sighing in disappointment and frustration, he returned returned to his quarters on Olympus after taking some of Tobias' cure alls. Scowling, he dropped heavily onto his bed to sulk.
Niemand
Supervisor
Supervisor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly on 16th September 2018, 3:36 pm

The moment Persephone reached the edge of the gathering, she knew she'd made a terrible mistake. The post-meeting entertainment was in full swing; wine flowed freely, and the noise was nearly overwhelming. It took her quite a while to pick her way through the crowd, avoiding dryads, nymphs, deities, and other residents of Olympus. The whole time she wished she was elsewhere.

She could hardly hear, and several times mysterious hands appeared out of the crowd to grab briefly at her skirts until she pulled away. She never managed to spot the culprit, but she blamed the Satyrs that Ares hated so much.

Ares. What had she been thinking? She was sure he wouldn't have complained too much if she'd elected to stay with him. It was too late to go back now, but she cursed her sense of duty every step of the way to her husband's side.

"You took your time," he rumbled, one raven brow arched.

"I misplaced what I was looking for, husband. You know how forgetful I can be." She smiled shyly and covered over her dislike with a thick layer of faux embarrassment. She was far too good at playing this role - the scatterbrained trophy wife - and all she could think was that she would never have to be this way with Ares. The God of the Underworld didn't question her facade, wordlessly passing her a goblet of watered wine before returning to his previous conversation.

Sipping the red liquid, she decided that, if the chance came again, she would take it. No more wasting her time putting Hades first, not when he barely spared a thought for her. Her duty could rot in Tartarus for all she cared.

Holly
Partner
Partner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2