The Muse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Two Points For Honesty
by Niemand 9th August 2022, 12:12 am

» This Dark and Twisty Road
by Niemand 10th June 2020, 10:38 pm

» Pet Peeves
by Niemand 19th February 2019, 9:35 pm

» RPG Pet Peeves
by Niemand 19th February 2019, 9:33 pm

» Picking Up the Pieces
by Niemand 23rd November 2018, 12:09 am

» Eye of the Storm
by Niemand 6th October 2018, 8:15 pm

» Calm Before the Storm
by Holly 4th October 2018, 9:37 pm

» Corrupt a Wish
by Niemand 1st October 2018, 3:47 am

» Dog Days of Winter
by Holly 25th September 2018, 5:17 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of The Muse on your social bookmarking website

Finish The Story

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Finish The Story  - Page 2 Empty Re: Finish The Story

Post by Guest 9th July 2014, 10:22 pm

A nameless person was standing outside the movies eating a pancake. Next to this person was a dog, begging for a piece of the person's pancake. The dog looked starved to death. The person looked at the dog for a long moment, then stuffed the entire pancake in the person's mouth, gloating at the dejected look on the dog's face. A few passing folk threw the person a disgusted and annoyed look as they passed. The person, a young male, ignored them as he prodded at the pitiful dog's ear, contemplating if he should actually give it something. Suddenly, a high, shrill voice shrieked from behind him,

"You cruel, cruel man! How could you do that to such a cute puppy?!"

He snapped his head up to spy an elderly woman waving her black cane hysterically, glaring daggers at him as if she'd like no more than to set him on fire. He wouldn't put it past her to try and do such a thing. He glared back at her.

"Why would you care about this mutt, you old bat?" he snapped. She gasped, affronted, then narrowed her eyes at him, slowly advancing with her cane raised as if to strike.

"Watch your manners, sonny," she spat. He stuck his tongue out at her, childish, before he tapped at the dog with one converse-clad foot and stood up, slinging a backpack onto his shoulder carelessly.

"Right. Bye barmy woman," he snorted before he took off at a run, the abused dog running after him. He grinned and turned a corner, stopping to eye a wealthy looking man walking.

"YOU GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!" the old lady screamed from behind him.

As if he'd listen. All adults ever did was lecture him. Well that and...trailing carefully behind the wealthy gentleman, he waited for the perfect moment to move in. Close at his heels was the dog. Sighing, he again considered finding it something to eat. After all, he knew all too well what it felt like to go hungry. Oh no you don't, Cole he told himself sharply. No getting sentimental. You can barely keep yourself in one piece let alone feed another mouth.

Big, soft, brown eyes searched his hopefully when he accidentally glanced at the mutt. "I'm going to regret this," Cole sighed.

He rubbed his face and made up his mind. Depending on how much he got from the wealthy gentleman, he might be able to feed himself, and get a little something for the dog. Focus on myself first, he thought. Then he turned back to the still oblivious man. Reaching out, he was just able to touch the man's wallet, which was sticking out of his back pocket.

With skill that could only have been acquired through experience, he gently coaxed the wallet into his hand. Before he had a firm grip on it, however, the man turned and caught his wrist in a large hand. Cole winced. The man was stronger than he looked.

"What, exactly, do you think you're doing?" the man snarled, twisting Cole's wrist painfully. Cole cried out and dropped the wallet.

"Less damage than you are," Cole replied before his more logical side could advise against it.

The man growled. "I should report you," he warned. "Police station's just around the corner."

Cole hesitated, struggling to find the words that would convince the man to release him. There was no way he was going to the police station. But how to get away.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, dropping his gaze. "It's just that..." His voice trailed away. Admitting that he needed the money that desperately stung deep inside. But you need to get out of this, logic whispered. Swallow your pride and say it. "I need money for food." And clothes and shelter and oh how about a life. At his side, the dog whimpered and shoved its nose into his free hand.

"Really?" the man scoffed. "I saw what you did back there. Didn't look like you were lacking food. That dog, on the other hand…" he trailed off, looking simultaneously scornful towards Cole and thoughtful towards his dog.

Cole groaned inwardly. Of course he'd seen that. Nothing in life was ever simple. "Food for the dog," he clarified, careful to keep the exasperation out of his voice as he unconsciously stroked the dog's ear when it licked his hand. "Look, just let go of me and I'll leave. Okay?"

The man narrowed his eyes at him, then finally spoke.
"Alright. But if I ever catch you sneaking around here again, it's to the police with you."

Where else am I supposed to go? As the grip on his wrist loosened, Cole pulled away. "Thank you...sir."

The man left him and the pitiful dog, glancing back once or twice to assure himself the youth wasn't about to try a second wallet snatching.

Cole let a small smirk form on his face when the man was out of site, having managed to at least slip a twenty dollar bill from the wallet before he'd handed it back. He gave the dog a wink. "Guess you can eat too now."

Half an hour later, Cole watched as the dog licked up the last bit of hamburger. Cole had been tempted to buy more than one for the poor creature (the blasted mutt was starting to grow on him) but had decided against it. While lifting money wasn't a challenge in itself, finding the opportunity was more difficult. "So what do you think?" he asked absently to the animal next to him. "Crash here or move on?" I'm talking to a dog. Is this what happens when you're alone too long?

The mutt, as if knowing the young man beside it had accepted it as part of his life, gave a soft bark, tail wagging. This brought a smile to Cole's face, an expression so rare that it startled him. Maybe having it around won't be such a bad thing... "I can't keep calling you 'it'," he told the dog. "What should I call you?...Heck what gender are you?"

He really knew nothing about animals. Sighing, he decided that he may as well go for a gender neutral name.

"How about…Max?" he suggested, looking at the dog for some sort of response. The dog cocked its head. Cole shrugged.

"Yeah, no, I don't like Max much either. Maybe, Sam?"

The dog lied down, staring at him blankly. Cole pursed his lips.

"Dakota?"

The dog rested its head on its paws. Cole sighed.

"Um…Bailey?"

The dog barked and jumped to its feet. Cole smirked.

"Bailey it is."

He fondled Bailey's ear and studied his surroundings. It was late, probably past midnight though Cole couldn't be sure without a watch. The park he was sitting in was abandoned. But in the city a park was rarely empty, only the types of people changed. He didn't want to keep moving since there was no way to know when he'd find a decent place to rest. Staying in the park was risky too. A territorial gang or a drug dealer could spell disaster, especially with a dog. "What do you think, Bailey?"

Bailey laid down and rested on Cole's feet. "Ok then we'll stay here for tonight, but let's move under the tree over there." He got to his feet and Bailey did too. Once they were under the tree they got comfortable. Cole propped himself against the tree and Bailey laid her head on his legs. We'll see what tomorrow brings us won't we dog? Cole thought before drifting out of conciseness.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Redwood 9th July 2014, 11:29 pm

A nameless person was standing outside the movies eating a pancake. Next to this person was a dog, begging for a piece of the person's pancake. The dog looked starved to death. The person looked at the dog for a long moment, then stuffed the entire pancake in the person's mouth, gloating at the dejected look on the dog's face. A few passing folk threw the person a disgusted and annoyed look as they passed. The person, a young male, ignored them as he prodded at the pitiful dog's ear, contemplating if he should actually give it something. Suddenly, a high, shrill voice shrieked from behind him,

He snapped his head up to spy an elderly woman waving her black cane hysterically, glaring daggers at him as if she'd like no more than to set him on fire. He wouldn't put it past her to try and do such a thing. He glared back at her.

"Why would you care about this mutt, you old bat?" he snapped. She gasped, affronted, then narrowed her eyes at him, slowly advancing with her cane raised as if to strike.

"Watch your manners, sonny," she spat. He stuck his tongue out at her, childish, before he tapped at the dog with one converse-clad foot and stood up, slinging a backpack onto his shoulder carelessly.

"Right. Bye barmy woman," he snorted before he took off at a run, the abused dog running after him. He grinned and turned a corner, stopping to eye a wealthy looking man walking.

As if he'd listen. All adults ever did was lecture him. Well that and...trailing carefully behind the wealthy gentleman, he waited for the perfect moment to move in. Close at his heels was the dog. Sighing, he again considered finding it something to eat. After all, he knew all too well what it felt like to go hungry. Oh no you don't, Cole he told himself sharply. No getting sentimental. You can barely keep yourself in one piece let alone feed another mouth.

Big, soft, brown eyes searched his hopefully when he accidentally glanced at the mutt. "I'm going to regret this," Cole sighed.

He rubbed his face and made up his mind. Depending on how much he got from the wealthy gentleman, he might be able to feed himself, and get a little something for the dog. Focus on myself first, he thought. Then he turned back to the still oblivious man. Reaching out, he was just able to touch the man's wallet, which was sticking out of his back pocket.

With skill that could only have been acquired through experience, he gently coaxed the wallet into his hand. Before he had a firm grip on it, however, the man turned and caught his wrist in a large hand. Cole winced. The man was stronger than he looked.

"What, exactly, do you think you're doing?" the man snarled, twisting Cole's wrist painfully. Cole cried out and dropped the wallet.

"Less damage than you are," Cole replied before his more logical side could advise against it.

The man growled. "I should report you," he warned. "Police station's just around the corner."

Cole hesitated, struggling to find the words that would convince the man to release him. There was no way he was going to the police station. But how to get away.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, dropping his gaze. "It's just that..." His voice trailed away. Admitting that he needed the money that desperately stung deep inside. But you need to get out of this, logic whispered. Swallow your pride and say it. "I need money for food." And clothes and shelter and oh how about a life. At his side, the dog whimpered and shoved its nose into his free hand.

"Really?" the man scoffed. "I saw what you did back there. Didn't look like you were lacking food. That dog, on the other hand…" he trailed off, looking simultaneously scornful towards Cole and thoughtful towards his dog.

Cole groaned inwardly. Of course he'd seen that. Nothing in life was ever simple. "Food for the dog," he clarified, careful to keep the exasperation out of his voice as he unconsciously stroked the dog's ear when it licked his hand. "Look, just let go of me and I'll leave. Okay?"

"Alright. But if I ever catch you sneaking around here again, it's to the police with you."

Where else am I supposed to go? As the grip on his wrist loosened, Cole pulled away. "Thank you...sir."

The man left him and the pitiful dog, glancing back once or twice to assure himself the youth wasn't about to try a second wallet snatching.

Cole let a small smirk form on his face when the man was out of site, having managed to at least slip a twenty dollar bill from the wallet before he'd handed it back. He gave the dog a wink. "Guess you can eat too now."

Half an hour later, Cole watched as the dog licked up the last bit of hamburger. Cole had been tempted to buy more than one for the poor creature (the blasted mutt was starting to grow on him) but had decided against it. While lifting money wasn't a challenge in itself, finding the opportunity was more difficult. "So what do you think?" he asked absently to the animal next to him. "Crash here or move on?" I'm talking to a dog. Is this what happens when you're alone too long?

The mutt, as if knowing the young man beside it had accepted it as part of his life, gave a soft bark, tail wagging. This brought a smile to Cole's face, an expression so rare that it startled him. Maybe having it around won't be such a bad thing... "I can't keep calling you 'it'," he told the dog. "What should I call you?...Heck what gender are you?"

He really knew nothing about animals. Sighing, he decided that he may as well go for a gender neutral name.

"How about…Max?" he suggested, looking at the dog for some sort of response. The dog cocked its head. Cole shrugged.

"Dakota?"

"Um…Bailey?"

"Bailey it is."

He fondled Bailey's ear and studied his surroundings. It was late, probably past midnight though Cole couldn't be sure without a watch. The park he was sitting in was abandoned. But in the city a park was rarely empty, only the types of people changed. He didn't want to keep moving since there was no way to know when he'd find a decent place to rest. Staying in the park was risky too. A territorial gang or a drug dealer could spell disaster, especially with a dog. "What do you think, Bailey?"

Bailey laid down and rested on Cole's feet. "Ok then we'll stay here for tonight, but let's move under the tree over there." He got to his feet and Bailey did too. Once they were under the tree they got comfortable. Cole propped himself against the tree and Bailey laid her head on his legs. We'll see what tomorrow brings us won't we dog? Cole thought before drifting out of conciseness.

((Welcome to the story, Marina_knight! Smile ))

A shaft of morning light falling across his eyes brought Cole back to reality. He groaned. A knot in the tree had dug into his back, probably leaving a bruise, and his legs had fallen asleep under Bailey's warmth. Still, it wasn't the worst thing he'd woken up to. Gently stroking Bailey's ear, he grimaced. "You're filthy," he told her (at least, he thought it was a her). Bailey just looked up at him and offered a doggy grin. "And your breathe reeks."

Pushing away from the tree, Cole dug into his pocket and pulled out what was left of the twenty dollars. 15. Not bad. I can get something at the closest McDonalds anyway. He grimaced, wishing there were better meal options but everything was so expensive that it was beyond his reach. Maybe having Bailey around would win him a few more sympathy points.
Anne Redwood
Anne Redwood
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishArcher 10th July 2014, 1:56 am

"Dakota?"

"Um…Bailey?"

"Bailey it is."

Bailey laid down and rested on Cole's feet. "Ok then we'll stay here for tonight, but let's move under the tree over there." He got to his feet and Bailey did too. Once they were under the tree they got comfortable. Cole propped himself against the tree and Bailey laid her head on his legs. We'll see what tomorrow brings us won't we dog? Cole thought before drifting out of consciousness.

A shaft of morning light falling across his eyes brought Cole back to reality. He groaned. A knot in the tree had dug into his back, probably leaving a bruise, and his legs had fallen asleep under Bailey's warmth. Still, it wasn't the worst thing he'd woken up to. Gently stroking Bailey's ear, he grimaced. "You're filthy," he told her (at least, he thought it was a her). Bailey just looked up at him and offered a doggy grin. "And your breathe reeks."

Pushing away from the tree, Cole dug into his pocket and pulled out what was left of the twenty dollars. 15. Not bad. I can get something at the closest McDonalds anyway. He grimaced, wishing there were better meal options but everything was so expensive that it was beyond his reach. Maybe having Bailey around would win him a few more sympathy points.

Cole stretched and started walking, following the path out of the park. Bailey followed close at his heels, sniffing around curiously. Suddenly, her head shot up, ears pricked and alert. Cole stopped, warily looking around.

"What is it, Bailey?" he asked, ready to bolt at the first sign of trouble. Bailey growled, but Cole still couldn't see anything.

A rustling in the nearby bushes caught his attention, and he turned his gaze in that direction. Bailey let out a yip, and charge at the bush, tail wagging. A small ball of fur darted out of the plant, and before Cole could stop her, Bailey gave chase, tearing across the park after what looked like a squirrel.
IrishArcher
IrishArcher
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Redwood 10th July 2014, 2:34 am

"Dakota?"

"Um…Bailey?"

"Bailey it is."

Bailey laid down and rested on Cole's feet. "Ok then we'll stay here for tonight, but let's move under the tree over there." He got to his feet and Bailey did too. Once they were under the tree they got comfortable. Cole propped himself against the tree and Bailey laid her head on his legs. We'll see what tomorrow brings us won't we dog? Cole thought before drifting out of consciousness.

Cole stretched and started walking, following the path out of the park. Bailey followed close at his heels, sniffing around curiously. Suddenly, her head shot up, ears pricked and alert. Cole stopped, warily looking around.

"What is it, Bailey?" he asked, ready to bolt at the first sign of trouble. Bailey growled, but Cole still couldn't see anything.

A rustling in the nearby bushes caught his attention, and he turned his gaze in that direction. Bailey let out a yip, and charge at the bush, tail wagging. A small ball of fur darted out of the plant, and before Cole could stop her, Bailey gave chase, tearing across the park after what looked like a squirrel.

"Oh you have got to be kidding me!" Cole groaned as he sprinted after the dog. They were almost out of the park when Bailey barreled into a group of guys strutting along the path. Yelping in surprise, she backed up, tripping Cole and sending him tumbling forward. This is just my luck.
Anne Redwood
Anne Redwood
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2